[mythtv-users] upgrading from .25 to .26

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri May 10 20:26:42 UTC 2013

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Lists <lists at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/9/2013 4:10 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 04/17/2013 09:06 PM, Rich West wrote:
>>
>>> The process is pretty simple, independent of the distro.  Basically:
>>> 1. Shut down the frontend process on your frontend(s)
>>> 2. Shut down the backend process
>>> 2a. Back up your database.
>>> 3. Upgrade/install the new mythtv packages on the backend
>>> 4. Upgrade/install the new mythtv packages on the frontend
>>> 5. Run mythtv-setup on the backend.  The database will automatically be
>>> upgraded.
>>> 6. Exit mythtv-setup.
>>> 7. Start the backend process
>>> 8. Start the frontend process on your frontend system(s)
>>>

>> Just had to say that this is a /great/ explanation of how to go about
>> upgrading a MythTV system.
>>
>> We'll have to get it on the wiki and clean up/simplify the "migration"
>> page.
>>
>> Mike
>>

> In addition to the master BE/FE I also have a slave BE/FE. Where in these
> steps would I upgrade that slave system?
>
> maybe -
> 9. Repeat above for any slave backends. ????

No, step 3 should be revised to say: Upgrade/install the new mythtv
packages on the backend(s).
And then step 5 should say: Run mythtv-setup on the master backend. The
database will automatically be upgraded.

The database needs to be upgraded only once for a mythtv "cluster", not
once per machine. And the best place to upgrade it is on the master backend
machine, using mythtv-setup.

Karl