[mythtv-users] [Debian] Standalone Frontend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue May 7 10:04:11 UTC 2013

On 07/05/13 01:35, Jongi wrote:
> On 07/05/2013 01:49, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 5/6/2013 7:44 PM, Jongi wrote:
>>> However 0.26 with fixes pops up a dialog box asking about backend
>>> settings when i run the frontend.
>>
>> It should be popping up asking for the credentials to log into your database
>> server.  It then queries the database server as to how to connect to your
>> backend.
>>
>> Have you configured your database server to listen on a network-accessible
>> address, rather than just the loopback interface?
>> Have you set up permissions to allow the remote machine to access the MythTV
>> database on your database server?
> before i continue, i should note that the master be/fe works perfectly.
>
> the problems i am findingstarts with a package named mythtv-database on debian
> (sid/testing). again it is working on the master be/fe.
>
> So a dialog box opens (regarding mythtv-database) askingfor:
> administrator account
> password for mysql administrator account
>
> if i issue mythtv:mythtv for both questions, then dpkg-reconfigure --force
> mythtv-database returns:
> Failed to execute SQL: GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON mythconverg.* TO mythtv at localhost
> IDENTIFIED BY 'MZb2HG0O'\nAccess denied for user 'mythtv'@'192.168.1.%' to
> database 'mythconverg' at -e line 8, <> line 1.
>
> on the be/fe machine, i have already tried running - mysql -u root -p
> mythconverg and then
>
> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to mythtv@"192.168.1.%" identified by "mythtv";
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql>  flush privileges;
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> grant all on mythconverg.* to jongi@"192.168.1.%" identified by "password";
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> mysql> flush privileges;
> Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)
>
> i can't help but feel there is one step i have missed.

Those strings in the 'identified' clauses are the actual *passwords* that you
are assigning to the mythtv user. You have two different strings here. It would
probably be safer to use the same string for both; it doesn't matter which.

IIRC Debian assigns some kind of random string as the mythtv password /on
mysql/. You'll have to go and hunt for all occurrences of config.xml in your
machine to see if the reconfigure did it's job properly - and check your apache
config files as well.

I notice that the rejected GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES command above has a hostname of
'localhost' and a password of 'MZb2Hg0O'. Note that this won't disappear simply
because you manually ran the other two commands successfully. The entry stays in
the mysql database. Rerun that command as you did those below and set it to the
same password as you chose for those.

--

Mike Perkins