[mythtv-users] VAAPI on mythtv-0.26

Matthias lists at thyroff.net
Sun Mar 31 20:16:50 UTC 2013

Am 31.03.2013 19:08, schrieb Joseph Fry:

>     How do you configure it to use libvaapi and opengl?  I have the
>     Painter set to OpenGL, and am using the VAAPI profile, but the
>     test videos are not running correctly.
>
>     Standard Definition will not run under VAAPI.  I get .5 second of
>     Audio with a blank screen.  I can play it using OpenGL, and my CPU
>     usage ranges from 30% - 125%, varying on OpenGL quality.
>
>     High Definition does work, but uses huge amounts of cpu. VAAPI
>     uses about 200% CPU, and OpenGL Slim consumes about 160%.
>
>     The intel drivers and libvaapi packages on my system are outdated
>     (Oct 2012), There are newer drivers on the website.  Should I
>     manually update the software packages, or is there something else
>     I should try before that?
>
>>         I just upgraded to mythtv-0.26, and want to enable/try VAAPI
>>         on my mythbox.  I haven't been able to find any instructions
>>         for settings it up on 0.26.  I've only found this on the wiki
>>         for 0.25 (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VAAPI).
>>
>>         I'm wondering what additional packages or steps 0.26 requires
>>         in order to use VAAPI.  Do I still need to install
>>         libbluray1, libmad0, or gtk2-engines-pixbuf (as referenced by
>>         the wiki)?
>>
>>         CPU is a Core i3-3225 w/HD4000 GPU
>>         Mythbuntu 12.04 (libva-intel-vaapi-driver and vainfo packages
>>         installed)
>>         mythtv-0.26 (Playback Profile set to VAAPI, and Paint Engine
>>         set to OpenGL)
>>
>         Well, I have set up vaapi to work with Intel's driver
>         installer and then I am using a profile for vaapi in the video
>         settings. You have to configure it to use libvaapi and opengl
>         (there is a variant with va, I think, in the name).
>

> Careful with the top-posting
>
> Anyway.... if I were doing VAAPI I would start by using the drivers
> here: https://01.org/linuxgraphics/.  Someone recently posted success
> using them.

Hi,

it was me who posted success with the drivers from the link above. It
was just one post before your initial question, you might have missed it.

It worked perfectly, I installed the package from above page, started a
script that is inside that package, which adds the necessary repository
and from there, installs all the necessary packages and versions that
you need to run vaapi acceleration. At least, for me it did, on ubuntu
12.04.

It works with Ubuntu 12.x and Fedora.

Try it, I would be interested in hearing if you were successful.

Regards,

Matthias