[mythtv-users] python filewriting and partition boundaries

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Sun Mar 31 16:57:56 UTC 2013

Hi:  Several years ago I trashed a hard drive, apparently by writing
video from Linux to an ntfs partition.

I now have another disk that seems to have lost some partition info.
The VolGroup-lv_home superblock isn't readable and my Googling suggests
using tools that can't be found on the disk.  I imagine that they were
installed as default, but I'm not sure.  SL6 and Myth 0.26-fixes.

It seems to me that the most unusual thing about what I have done with
this box is using a python script to cut and concatenate video files.
The script is at MythDVBcut on the wiki.  In the scripts as posted it is
used only for HD content.  It doesn't include any checking for partition
boundaries, because I assumed that this would be done automatically.

The script normally does what I intended, but I'm now worried that I may
have unleashed a disk-trashing tool on the community.  Can anyone
comment or suggest a more appropriate forum for this question?

John P