[mythtv-users] Lossless Cut bug reports

Martin Moores moores.martin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 11:12:02 UTC 2013

Hi all,

This message will mainly be directed at Doug, creator of Lossless Cut.

I am in the UK and giving this set of scripts a go, to archive the odd
recording with cutlists, I have however ran into a few issues.

a. Virtually non of the output files will play properly in VLC on Windows
or Linux or Myth Frontend

So most of the issues are with seeking, clicking ahead in the video in VLC
and there is a 1 minute+ pause before is starts playing again

HD recordings don't have audio when played back in VLC, they have the same
seeking issue

SD recordings play OK with audio, but have the seeking issue

Playing in the frontend crashes on some recordings, HD play with no audio,
but all seek OK

b. Some cuts are too early

I went through all of these recordings and manually set cut points, first
to a keyframe, to be sure they would be correct, but the output is still
off on some of the cut points, starting too early at the starts of the
shows, therefore getting a few seconds of adverts.

When I check these back in the frontend, all the cuts are perfect, as I set
them.

c. The bug reporting script fails (sometimes)

When I was running the bug reporting script on a particular video file, it
failed.  Ran it on all the others and seemed to work OK

*ll_report -f /media/recordings/recordings/3001_20130330055500.mpg -B*

It failed and I get the following:

*Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/lossless_cut/ll_report.py", line 697, in <module>
    LL_REPORT.ll_report()
  File "/usr/share/lossless_cut/ll_report.py", line 339, in ll_report
    self.mythtvinterface.get_recorded_data()
  File "/usr/share/lossless_cut/importcode/mythtvinterface.py", line 520,
in get_recorded_data
    self._get_cutlist_data()
  File "/usr/share/lossless_cut/importcode/mythtvinterface.py", line 547,
in _get_cutlist_data
    self.configuration['gencutlist']:
KeyError: 'gencutlist'*

It does seem to produce a log file, but not the promised 25MB sample or the
archive file to upload.  I figured out that this was due to the lack of cut
list for the recording.  If I went into edit, put a start and end cut on,
then the bug reporting worked fine.

On all other files, it runs OK, got the sample and created an archive file,
but it gave the error:

*There is no associated log file "/tmp/2103_20121227144500.log" to add to
the bug report archive.*

This is because the generated log file is prefixed with "Lossless_Report_",
so will never be found.  I have added the log files manually to the
archives where they were generated.

This is most likely not related to Lossless Cut, but more Linux/Samba
issues!

d. The output filename is garbage when viewed via Samba share

Maybe this one is not actually Lossless Cuts fault (I thought it was until
I viewed the files locally), maybe it is some kind of encoding issue.  I
have a Samba share to view media from my myth machine.  Any transcoded
files from Lossless Cut show with random file names when viewed via the
share, but are expected when viewed locally.  For example, "Room on the
Broom: .mkv" locally and "RGZINE~J.MKV" via the share.

Anyway, sorry for the large post, can provide any info required.  All log
files and samples are at the link below, including an Excel sheet with all
the different recordings and the log file names, SD/HD etc, which will
hopefully help

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m3x64k6bcrybai8/yEvZnvF07b

Many thanks

Martin