[mythtv-users] MythTV with MariaDB

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 19:43:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Richard Morton
<richard.e.morton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately being DBMS neutral is very hard. Each vendor interrupters the
> SQL standard differently karting to different implementations syntax's and
> query results.

Agreed.  From having worked on such things, you ended up with a
shim (abstraction) layer that took basic SQL and translated it to the
specifics of the implementation, and then almost none of the DBMS'
ran the [project] SQL particularly well (or useful features were hidden).
Numerous languages create such an abstraction layer.  Including Qt.

The good news is that MythTV mostly uses such basic SQL that
it could probably run (poorly) with CSV files as the DB (although
the Big Ugly Scheduler Query would likely run *very* poorly), so
moving to another DBMS is probably possible, if it was a priority.

But the cost of such abstraction is developer effort to validate
changes were really platform neutral, and the load of answering
questions from users that want to support DB2 or SqlServer as
their DBMS.  That can be a lot of resources.

So, in the end, I understand that choosing a particular DBMS
(even if it is not the DBMS that some people would like) reduces
the resource requirements in a project that already has enough
wish list items to exceed the available developer time.

If I had a vote, on my list of priorities, supporting PostgreSQL
is probably near a zero.

Gary