[mythtv-users] update failed now fe crashes

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Mar 27 03:16:52 UTC 2013

> I just allowed the latest update to be done on my back end and front end.
> The back end worked fine so all good there, but the frontend stalled and
> the box locked up. No response to keyboard mouse etc. So rebooted but now
> the frontend will not start fully. I just get a blank background.****
>
> The update failed whilst applying the mythtv-common section from memory.**
> **
>

> How do I restart the update?
>
> I tried
>
> sudo apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
>
> but that only checked the mythbuntu stuff which show 0 to update and 0 to
> upgrade.****
>

> Any help appreciated.

Not sure why everyone else is trying to solve the issue after the fact when
you said it failed to install cleanly.  I would first make sure every
mythtv component is installed clean before I start troubleshooting.

Have you tried an: apt-get install --reinstall mythtv-common

Typically when an application fails to install it tells you to do a "dpkg
--configure -a", but if you could do an apt-get upgrade, it probably didn't
fail cleanly.