[mythtv-users] MythTV with MariaDB

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 26 16:49:45 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM, Craig Huff <huffcslists at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1) What distro(s) are switching to MariaDB and with what release(s)
> (release date/release number) -- in other words am I about to get
> pushed over a waterfall and don't even know it yet -- the other half
> has been hinting that my hearing isn't what it used to be, so that
> might explain not hearing the roar of the water ;-)

Fedora with 19, and Arch will be making MariaDB the default
but at least with Fedora (I do not run Arch) you will still have
MySQL available as a choice.  And, at least for Fedora (I do not
run Arch), if you upgrade, your existing type will remain (because
there are some edge case incompatibilities), and the packages
will be configured to insure only one is installed (they each
obsolete each other).

OpenSUSE and debian (and variants, including Ubuntu) have
discussed moving to MariaDB.  I do not run those, nor follow their
planning mail lists, so I do not know their current
decisions/plans/schedules.  Others can (and I hope will) chime in.

Given the strong compatibility between the current revisions
of MySQL and MariaDB, things really should be mostly
transparent for most people (and for those running MySQL
only for MythTV in particular).  The waterfall is more like a
2" drop of a trickling stream.  But, as with all else, your
mileage will vary (and if you are running a 5 petabyte MySQL
partitioned table DB, you had better know what you are
doing, and probably have moved to a NoSQL solution :-)

Gary