[mythtv-users] MythTV with MariaDB

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Mar 26 15:54:33 UTC 2013

On 26/03/2013 15:27, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/25/2013 11:55 PM, Kevon wrote:
>> Thanks for the pointers. I have not yet switch mysql to InnoDB. All my
>> databases were created before the default switch to InnoDB (5.5 I
>> think). I never had a problem with MyISAM so didn't see the need to
>> switch. Do I need to switch over to InnoDB before installing MariaDB?
>>
>> My distro of choice is also making the switch to MariaDB. I very
>> comfortable with databases so I'm not worried about fixing things if
>> they break. I also have multiple backups which I know are recoverable.
>> I'll have to give my upgrade more thoughts as I don't have a test box
>> and it is already difficult enough to get small outage windows to make
>> minor changes.
>
> Based on the information Gary has provided, I just wanted to summarize
> for you.
>
> You should be fine using MariaDB with MythTV, provided you use MyISAM
> tables (so please do not attempt to switch to InnoDB before changing to
> MariaDB, and, if necessary, ensure you have enabled the MyISAM storage
> engine on MariaDB).  We'll do our best to provide support for you (or
> others) using MariaDB, though if some incompatible difference is ever
> found, we'll probably have to side with MySQL for the official fix.  I
> don't expect this to be a problem, but I'm mentioning it just so that
> you make the decision with appropriate expectations.  Since your distro
> is switching to MariaDB, your best bet is likely to just use MariaDB.

Sorry, a little off topic, but a worry that has arisen from reading
this discussion: if I transfer my mythtv database (plus many others)
with the command

    ssh root at glidos.site mysqldump --opt --all-databases | mysql

will it still be correctly set up and tuned, using MyISAM for
the tables that need to?  I have two servers that I rotate every
time a new version of opensuse comes out, and that's how I
transfer the database. I've never considered before that I may
be losing some information that might be important for performance
and reliability.

Cheers,
	Paul.