[mythtv-users] Waiting for video buffers

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Sun Mar 24 22:14:41 UTC 2013

> In my case, I can't reproduce the video buffer issue when watching the
> same position of the same recording again.
>
> Was that the same in your case?
Thomas,

Usually yes.

For my testing what I did was to record something with nothing else was
going on with the server.  Then I'd check the log for buffer messages.
If there were messages, I'd throw that recording out and try again (with
Time Warner, the bad signals seem to be concentrated on a few channels)
with a different channel.  Once I got a recording which didn't have
messages during recording, I'd play it back without doing anything with
either the BE or FE (other than selecting play on the FE menu).  If the
playback logs were clean, then I knew I had a clean capture/recording.
It took awhile but I finally got one recording each in SD and HD, which
I believe to be clean of "buffer message" causing errors.  Those I used
for testing playback.

What you describe indicates the problem is in playback; if it were in
the capture/recording it "should" be repeatable during playback.  Are
you using fast forward/rewind when the messages occur?  I found almost
all of the messages in my log file were when I was FF'ing or RW'ing
around commercials (wife hates Myth commercial skip function).

Also, what deinterlacer are you using.  Try stepping down a step in
capability (reduce the load) or remove it altogether and see what happens.

Good luck, let us know how it goes....

Joe