[mythtv-users] Waiting for video buffers

Joe Henley joehenley at kc.rr.com
Sun Mar 24 18:31:51 UTC 2013

I've had this problem ALOT.  I've also done alot of testing on it.  What
I've found to reduce/eliminate it on my system (running FC16 with kernel
at 3.6.11-1, MythTV 0.25.2, MiniMyth 0.25.2-288) includes:
- In general the problem is 95% in playback, but a small portion is
created during recording and then passed on to display the issue during
playback.

- In playback the biggest source of the message is using fast forward
and/or rewind, pause, start/stop play (ie., not really a problem).
The next biggest source is the selection of deinterlacer used.  Even
with vdpau in use, I find 1X deinterlacers produce fewer problems (than
2X).  The lesson I learned is that I should not be aggressive with this
setting.

- In recording, the biggest source of (my .... very specific) problem is
leaving the PVR-350 card in the PCI slot even though I'm not using it.
That card uses the ivtv module which is in the kernel.  So even with
ivtv blacklisted, and the card not used, it causes me alot of these
video buffer messages.  The typical problem with the ivtv module
(tearing, etc.) "gets you" even if you're not using it (see
http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10732).  [I know this sounds
implausible, but I have tested it every which way I can, and with the
card in the slot (even changing slots to change interrupts) I get the
video buffer messages and with it removed, I don't.]
The next biggest source is a bad signal from my cable provider (of
course, it's Time Warner).  Any time you see a brief stutter, or garbled
signal, on the cable feed (I'm not talking about LiveTV via Myth), then
if you're recording it, there will be lots of video buffer messages.
Thus, since you seldom watch the cable feed of a program you're
recording, you tend to assume it comes from your Myth system.

There are a couple of other, in my case lesser, issues:
-  I used two nics in my Myth server, set as multi homed.  Using NFS in
that environment did cause some video buffer messages, but not alot.
Even still, I eliminated the second nic, eliminated the multi homing,
but kept NFS.
- I increased the  ringbuffer from 18,800 kB  to 28,200.   That seems to
help reduce capture problems (which eventually show up in the FE as
video buffer messages).

As always, YMMV.  But I hope this gives you some ideas as to where to
look to sort out the problems you are having.  Good luck and let us know
how you do.

Joe Henley