[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend on Smart TVs

Dave Pearson lists at the-pearsons.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 21:14:29 UTC 2013

-----Original message-----
From:Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com>
Sent:Fri 22-03-2013 19:55
Subject:Re: [mythtv-users] Mythfrontend on Smart TVs
To:Discussion about MythTV <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>;

You mean something like mobilemyth: http://www.mobilemyth.net/ <http://www.mobilemyth.net/>
 I believe their aim is an HTML based frontend, similar to what your talking about.

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 3:25 PM, Karl Dietz <dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org <mailto:dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org> > wrote:
 Hi Dave,

 On 22.03.2013 10:09, Dave Pearson wrote:

 I want to do this because I want to use Plex Media Server to serve
 mythtv recordings to my Samsung TV as it has a native Plex client.

 A buddy of mine got a Samsung TV, too. He asked me how he could use it
 as MythTV frontend. As the models from 2011 on support HTML 5 and HLS
 streaming I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to create a dedicated
 MythTV frontend instead of fiddling about with multiple tools.
 http://www.samsungdforum.com/Devtools/Spec <http://www.samsungdforum.com/Devtools/Spec>

 e.g. change MythWeb to use the JWPlayer and HLS streaming, then
 add/reactivate a template for devices with limited screen estate
 (IIRC there was once an iPad template)

 Pro: You get to manage recordings, too

 Con: It appears to be slightly more work.

 Have you (or someone else on this list) considered that approach?

 Regards,
 Karl

 PS: Creating a HbbTV compatible web frontend sounds good, too. But I'm
 not sure that MythTV's streaming code and HbbTV support a common
 streaming protocol.

I did take a look at mobilemyth (but not on the TV), it seems quite promising, but the last update I downloaded didn't work and I kind of put it to one side. If I can get it working again, I'll try it on the Samsung TV.

Dave