[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend on Smart TVs

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Fri Mar 22 19:25:42 UTC 2013

Hi Dave,

On 22.03.2013 10:09, Dave Pearson wrote:

> I want to do this because I want to use Plex Media Server to serve
> mythtv recordings to my Samsung TV as it has a native Plex client.

A buddy of mine got a Samsung TV, too. He asked me how he could use it
as MythTV frontend. As the models from 2011 on support HTML 5 and HLS
streaming I'm wondering if it wouldn't be easier to create a dedicated
MythTV frontend instead of fiddling about with multiple tools.
http://www.samsungdforum.com/Devtools/Spec

e.g. change MythWeb to use the JWPlayer and HLS streaming, then
add/reactivate a template for devices with limited screen estate
(IIRC there was once an iPad template)

Pro: You get to manage recordings, too

Con: It appears to be slightly more work.

Have you (or someone else on this list) considered that approach?

Regards,
Karl

PS: Creating a HbbTV compatible web frontend sounds good, too. But I'm
not sure that MythTV's streaming code and HbbTV support a common
streaming protocol.