[mythtv-users] getting lircd/udp to work

jzigpublic jzigpublic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 20 12:59:31 UTC 2013

On 3/19/2013 7:42 PM, Greg Woods wrote:
> I am running Fedora 18 on a dual-core Pentium 4 (i386 distro) if this
> matters.
>
> The problem is that the UDP driver does not seem to work. I have
> followed the instructions at
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hdhomerun#Setting_up_IR_Forwarding
>
> The HDHomerun does appear to be sending packets to port 5000 on the
> target system, as confirmed by tcpdump.
>
> If I start "lircd -H udp -d 5000" on the target system as instructed, it
> appears to start, but it is not actually listening on the network. I
> tried both the Fedora packaged version and compiling from source
> downloaded from lirc.org, and the symptoms are the same. "netstat" and
> "lsof" confirm that it is running, but not listening on any network
> port. If I use "strace" to start it, it appears that neither the main
> process nor the child it forks ever even TRY to open a network
> connection. If I do "lircd --driver=?", it does report "udp" in the list
> of drivers. There are no errors logged.
>
> Anybody seen this and have a workaround? Is there some other version of
> lircd that I should be using?
>
> Thanks,
> --Greg

Just to confirm that the HDHR is still sending packets you can try this:
At the console as root with lirc not running start mode2 with this command:
mode2 -H udp -d 5000
You should be able to see the output of your remote presses.  You can
also run irrecord via udp with this command:
irrecord -H udp -d 5000 -n testfilename  (also with lirc stopped) file
ends up in "root"

I'm running Mythbuntu, so I'm not familiar with Fedora.  I let Mythbuntu
install and run lircd for a generic remote.  After configuring the HDHR
properly,  I then configure lircd by modifying "/etc/lirc/hardware.conf"
for the HDHR by adding/modifying these lines:
REMOTE_MODULES=""
REMOTE_DRIVER="udp"
REMOTE_DEVICE="5000"
REMOTE_SOCKET=""

Again, I don't know if Fedora uses a hardware.conf file for lirc or
not.  If it does, maybe it is conflicting with the command line switches.

If the mode2 command doesn't work, then your problem may not be related
to lirc, maybe you have some sort of  firewall or network problem.

Ziggy