[mythtv-users] System design question

Michael Powell mikep at mikepowells.net
Tue Mar 19 00:12:24 UTC 2013

I have an implementation/system design question. I currently have a
dedicated back end/dedicated front end setup. The back end source is an
HDHomerun-CC with three tuners. All is working as expected.

I would like to set up a system for my stepson. My concern is that if I set
up a front end for him running off of my existing back end, he might
schedule three shows at once, bumping my shows off (he is more of the type
who records anything remotely interesting, where I generally record only
shows I am likely to watch). I can manually juggle priorities, but I would
rather have a more elegant and automated solution.

Is there a way to set something on the back end that would say "all
scheduled shows from front end 1 are always +10 priority and all shows from
front end 2 are -10 priority" or similar? Or has someone come up with a
better solution to this type of problem? I had considered setting up his
system as a stand-alone front end/back end and configuring it with only one
of the HDHRCC tuners, and dropping that same tuner out of my current back
end, but then if one of the two back ends could use more tuners, it can't
because the tuners are dedicated to each back end box.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Mike