[mythtv-users] Anyone with experience with Rogers Digital Cable in the Ottawa area?

Erik Sejr esejr at wildroseinternet.ca
Mon Mar 18 02:23:22 UTC 2013

On 3/17/2013 12:56 PM, Doug Vaughan wrote:
> Although I amnot in Ottawa, I am a Toronto Rogers subscriber.
>
> In Toronto:
> 1) The firewire port has always worked from my various STB SA8000HD,
> S3250HD and nowa CS4642HD
> 2) The component out is not blocked on any channels (pay or
> otherwise). Note that you cannot concurrently use a CS4642HD HDMI
> outand the component out. The component out gets cut off. From what I
> understand that is standard for all HDMI capable STBs.
> 3) MythTV successfully records with a HDPVR (analogue andcomponent
> inputs) and use firewire for channel changing.
>
> Note for the CS4642HD I needed to change the usual sa3250ch firewire
> channel change codeand recompile. That update is on the MythTV wiki
> page.See: http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Sa3250ch
>
> I would be very surprised if Rogers alters their STB standards per city.
>
> Doug

Thanks for the info. They gave me a cisco 8642HD and I don't have the
correct firewire cable at the moment (I had a 6-pin M - 6-pin M for my
old STB but this one requires a 4-pin M). I did ask the installers and
they said the firewire port is disabled, but perhaps the "disabling" is
limited to recording and not necessarily simply control. I'll see if
someone has a cable kicking around I can borrow and give it a try since
I did invest in an IR Blaster - I don't expect to see it for a couple of
weeks.

Adding IDs to sa3250ch should not be an issue, I hacked on 6200ch a
little to get it to work with my old STB anyway. Are there any specific
settings on the STB I should set to ensure proper recording with the
HD-PVR? On my old motorola one I had to ensure the output
resolution/aspect was always 1080i/16:9 or I'd have some issues with
recording.

Glad to hear they don't shut down the component inputs, the work-arounds
for that are rather expensive. Thanks for mentioning the
HDMI-or-component quirk. I expect it'll be the same on this STB since
your 4642 can only do one or the other. I'll be sure to pull the HDMI
cable once I get the control issue sorted out.

Erik