[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu's kill/restart irexec command kills but no longer restarts until pressed again

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Sun Mar 17 21:54:35 UTC 2013

Alex Tomlins <alex at tomlins.org.uk> wrote on Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 06:28:18PM +0000:
> On 17/03/13 16:15, Ian Evans wrote:
> >I think that's the first time my subject pretty much summed up my
> >whole issue. :-)
> >
> >Mythbuntu's kill/restart irexec command kills but no longer restarts
> >until pressed again.
> >
> >That is, the power/clear combo that kills mythfrontend and restarts
> >it, now just kills it. If I hit the combo again, it finally restarts.
> >
> >The command hasn't changed. Any idea why it would take two usages now
> >instead of one?
> >
> >Here's the command that's sent:
> >
> >(kill $(pgrep mythfrontend) || true) && mythfrontend --service &
> >
> It could well be a race condition...
>
> My guess is that on the first press, it sends the kill signal to
> mythfrontend, but then when it tries to start it again, the old
> instance hasn't finished exiting causing the new instance to fail to
> start (ports already in use etc...).  On the second call, it will
> start successfully because by then the old instance has exited.
>
> You could test this by adding a sleep in between the 2 commands.

I run mythfrontend without the --service option on my mythbuntu
installs. As a result, the wrapper script starts mythfrontend.real and
then exits, and I don't get the auto-restart feature. I kill
mythfrontend.real using the command "killall mythfrontend.real" via
irexec. I always have to execute that twice to actually kill
mythfrontend.real. Even though we're starting and stopping
mythfrontend differently, I'd guess the behavior we're seeing is
related.