[mythtv-users] Best way to copy to windows and delete after recording?

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Sun Mar 17 21:02:34 UTC 2013

On Sun, 17 Mar 2013 19:52:02 -0000, Jason Bilbrey <jason at bilbrey.me> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Stephen Worthington
> <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 21:23:01 -0500, you wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I need to copy it off.  I have my 3 tuners recording 24x7 and I'm
>>> archiving shows.  Copying the shows off I can do automated (and am
>>> from the
>>> windows side) but I have to go through MythWeb and delete the shows
>>> after
>>> that.  If I forget to delete them daily then MythTV starts flagging
>>> them as
>>> not watched when it autopurges and then starts recording duplicates
>>> which I
>>> don't want.
>>>
>>> So I either need to change the default behavior of MythTV so that when
>>> it
>>> autopurges it marks the show as never record again, or I need to
>>> figure out
>>> a way to automatically delete shows off the MythTV with a script every
>>> 24
>>> hours or so...
>>>
>>> Jason
>>
>> One option you may not have considered is that the MythTV box is
>> capable of recording to network locations.  You can make a new storage
>> group with a network mounted location in it, and then you can
>> designate the programs you want to record there instead of in the
>> "Default" storage group.  You would have to be careful not to overload
>> the network connection - Gigabit ethernet is recommended and I would
>> think you would not want to record two programs at once to network
>> storage without testing carefully first.
>>
>> And adding more hard drives to the MythTV box (if it is not maxed out
>> already) is another option.  You can also add a USB 3.0 or eSATA PCIe
>> card and add external drives.  I have two in a dual external USB 3.0
>> swap mount on my laptop and that works fine for recording, and I have
>> an eSATA drive on my main MythTV box as it has run out of internal
>> drive slots.  I have also pulled power and SATA cables out of the back
>> of the box to run two SATA drives externally, but on internal power.
>> So the box now has 3 internal and 2 external recording drives on it,
>> plus the video storage drives.
>>
>> With an external drive mount, you can swap hard drives, move files
>> onto them (at full hard disk speed), then move the drive (or the drive
>> and mount) to another PC for playback.  Or just put the drives on the
>> shelf for archive storage.
>>
>> The WD30EZRX 3 Tbyte green drives are pretty cheap, but entirely fast
>> enough for recording to.
>>
>> Another useful trick is the find orphans script:
>>
>>  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Find_orphans.py
>>
>> That allows you to just move files off the MythTV box and then run the
>> script to fix up the database by deleting the entries for the missing
>> file.  But I do not know if that would then allow the programs to
>> re-record or not.
>>

> Alas, I am converting the videos and the MythTV box I'm on doesn't have
> [...]

Couldn't you use http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Delete_recordings.py as a
basis for your script ?  You could even modify it to mark the recordings
as watched rather than delete them, for safety.

By default the 'Watched' flag must be set manually. There is an option in
Frontend/Setup/TV settings/Playback/page 1 to "Automatically mark watched"
but that's only applicable if you actually watch all the programmes on the
Frontend, which I don't believe you are.