[mythtv-users] Calling external program/shut off LIRC reading

Joey Morris rjmorris.list at zoho.com
Sun Mar 17 12:51:11 UTC 2013

Angela <angela.schmid at wolke7.net> wrote on Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 11:40:16AM +0100:
> Has mythtv frontend the possibility to start a script/program and stay in
> the background, not reading lirc, till the program finishes  ?
> Is it possible to add a menu point in mythtv or even better add a jump
> button ? Examples welcome.

I'm not sure about the jump point (I doubt it, though), but you can
customize your menu to add an entry for executing another program.
When the program exits, control will be returned to MythTV. If you
search the list for "mainmenu exec" you'll find several examples.

The basic steps are:

1. Copy /usr/local/share/mythtv/themes/defaultmenu/mainmenu.xml to
   ~/.mythtv/mainmenu.xml.

2. Add a new button to ~/.mythtv/mainmenu with the EXEC action, such as:

   <button>
     <type>TV</type>
     <text>MyDVR</text>
     <description>Execute the MyDVR program</description>
     <action>EXEC /usr/bin/mydvr</action>
   </button>

The wiki page on menu development is here:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Menu_theme_development_guide