[mythtv-users] .25 mythtranscode copy over in .26 failing after upgrade

Rich Freeman r-mythtv at thefreemanclan.net
Fri Mar 15 19:19:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 2:18 PM, Dan Wilga
<mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu> wrote:
> Try telling that to my wife when one of her programs gets trashed. Some
> shows are literally never on again, and not available online.

The ones watched by the wife are the ones less likely to be found
online in the first place.  Think about the set of people who watch
<insert show here> and the set of people who know how to
transcode/upload/torrent/not-get-caught/etc.  The overlap for Game of
Thrones is probably different from the overlap for Real Housewives of
Boise.

> My point is that, for some people, it's definitely worth a couple hundred
> dollars for a little peace of mind.

A RAID need not cost hundreds of dollars, unless you're storing a huge
volume of data, and then the cost is inevitable.  The differential
cost of RAID is one extra drive, or maybe two  Especially on Linux
which has good software RAID5 (I'd trust that before I'd trust a RAID
card that might be hard to replace in the future).

But, priorities do vary.  In any case, I'm transcoding shows I plan to
still watch, and then delete.  These aren't for archival, or whatever.

If it takes moving heaven and earth to get it to work I will just add
disk space, but all things being equal I'd like to be able to
transcode.

Rich