[mythtv-users] mythfrontend hangs on startup

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu Mar 14 16:27:01 UTC 2013

I think Bill's right. I don't believe those of us who encountered this problem last night, had a problem due to improperly/incompletely installed Python bindings and/or scripts. I got something similar to Bill when I ran sendProfile.py from the command line, except I got an Errno 12 (timeout) instead of an Errno 14 (HTTP Error 502). And it took two minutes to timeout.

$ /usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py --submitOnly -a -d
Processing MythTV Data
Error contacting Server: [Errno 12] Timeout on http://smolt.mythtv.org/tokens/token_json?uuid=<my-uuid-here>: (28, '')
Could not send - Exiting

Although when I tried plugging the URI into my web browser, it took two minutes to time out and then produced the proxy error.

Out of curiosity, I tried to go to http://smolts.org/. That directed me to: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Smolt_retirement. Which begs the question: Should mythtv depend on a technology that's not being maintained and that the Fedora project and others are looking to replace?

Another issue/concern: When you go to mythfrontend's Setup Wizard, the help message for "Submit your hardware profile" says nothing about collecting your hardware profile every 30 days. Nor does the confirmation message. I assumed it was a one time thing. The fact that it isn't a one time thing and that the messages say nothing about it, strikes me as a violation of trust.

It's got me wondering:
- If I hadn't chosen to submit my hardware profile, would mythtv still try to send my hardware profile silently every 30 days?
- If I choose to delete my hardware profile (once the server is up and running), will mythtv stop trying to silently send my hardware profile?
- If deleting the profile is not the mechanism, how does one opt out after opting in?

Regards,
Helen