[mythtv-users] Deleted channel keeps coming back

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Mar 14 12:06:34 UTC 2013

On 03/14/2013 02:00 AM, Tom Harris wrote:
> For some reason, I have two versions of Comedy Central HD in my
> channel listings: CCHD and CCHDP.  The second one is the correct one,
> Comedy Central HD Pacific.  I think my cable company may have switched
> from CCHD to CCHDP in the past.
>
> In any case, CCHD should not be there.   It doesn't exist in my
> schedules direct channel listing.   I have deleted it with the
> mythtv-setup channel editor,which didn't work.  I deleted it in
> mythweb, which didn't help.  I even deleted it directly in mysql to no
> avail.
>
> It just doesn't go away.  I get two channel 745s, and mythtv picks the
> wrong one to record from so I'm always getting the wrong program.
>
> Any ideas on how I can kill it so that it stays dead?

1) Go to Schedules Direct website and re-add your lineup with the button
to do so, then go to the lineup and verify channels (and be very careful
to look for the one that's re-appearing).  This is either a problem with
your lineup on Schedules Direct (that should be fixed by a re-add), or
(and this happens a lot) you're just not seeing the channel on your
lineup, even though it's actually there (because it's not always using
the same name/call sign as MythTV does, so you may be looking for the
wrong thing).

2) Delete the unwanted channel from MythTV using mythtv-setup (as
there's more to it than just an entry in channel, and if you don't
delete it properly, you'll leave garbage in the database that will cause
problems).

3) Enjoy.

Note, too, if you run mythfilldatabase with the current configuration
(that includes that channel in the Schedules Direct lineup) and then fix
it, properly, as above, then re-run mythfilldatabase without waiting
long enough, it will use the previously-downloaded data, which contains
the channel, so it will get re-added.  Then, you'll have to re-delete
the channel from mythtv-setup (but, as long as you've actually removed
it from your lineup on Schedules Direct by that time, and you wait long
enough to run mythfilldatabase, again, it won't come back).  So the best
idea is to do the above, then just let MythTV run mythfilldatabase for
you at the scheduled time.

Mike