[mythtv-users] MythNetvision grabbers needing update

Robert Siebert trebor_s at web.de
Thu Mar 14 08:34:36 UTC 2013

Robert Siebert wrote:

>> Am 2013-03-13 14:44, schrieb Dan Wilga:
>>

>>> After trying (and failing) to use MythNetvision some time ago, I
decided to try again last night. Here's what I found, after much digging
and debugging: - thewb.py works fine. - comedycentral.py fails, due to
404s. I assume the search mechanism and RSS feed locations have moved
within the site. - mtv.py fails, but silently. If you view the XML
returned by their API, it says the API being used has been deprecated. -
pbs.py complains that there are "No Xslt results" for a whole bunch of
URLs, even though these URLs do return feeds. Perhaps the script is
using the wrong DTD or something. - hulu.py fails, also due to 404s. I
have searched trac and master on git, but nobody seems to be working on
this plugin. I can't believe nobody has noticed these problems before,
though. Did I just miss something, or should I try to fix the scripts
myself?
>> It would be best if you do the changes and create a ticket in
trac. For my opinion it would also be best to create a pull request in
github so the change can be applied from there. It looks like the mythtv
development is stalling, the devs numbers are shrinking and the
remaining ones are very busy. They are purely concentrating on the tv
and recording functionality. no plugin has been updated in a while. And
unfortunately the devs don't apply many useful tickets or pull requests
from github like xbmc does. Not even a simple two-liner patch. This
really reduces the motivation to contribute. Even useful mythmusic
changes are not cherry-picked from pauls repository. Sorry for being so
naggy, I had to say this. best regards Robert S

> I'm glad I'm not
the only one to see things have really slowed down.
> According to a
dev I spoke to, one of few that is actually still
> speaking to me :),
the 0.27 release will be more of a bug fix release
> with no new major
features added but if that was true wouldn't you think
> the first
thing to look at would be the 500+ trac tickets?

> I'm sad to say
that recently I've actually been looking at xbmc as an
> alternative at
least for video playback . Even had a play with torc
> today in the
hope there has been some progress there, sadly doesn't look
> like
there has been much visible progress in the torc-client but I can
> see
Mark is still plugging away at it.

> Paul H.

Wow only bug fixes? Sad
to see that. In the past they had some nice ambitions like commercial
detection via GPU or adding animations to the UI. But since mark has
left, the UI development pretty much stopped. I hoped so long that they
would have updated the plugins, have included UI animations, better
scrolling, fading in/out and making this all dependable on certain
events and available via the theme.

MythTV is superb with TV and
recording stuff but the plugins are lacking a lot of basic features. No
automatic artist grabbing in mythmusic, background image slideshows
while listening to music, browsing music and images while the video is
playing in the background, the image exif orientation is not considered
in the gallery plugin, no plugin system so other people can just code
some and so on...

Due to the missing features I have switched to XBMC
since Frodo beta 1 with the MythTV as a backend. It outperforms MythTV
in every aspect except the two remaining killer features: The stuff that
has to do with recordings and the player which allows you to watch shows
slower or faster. But it was not enough for me.

I guess for you its
harder to switch because you would abandon your mythmusic plugin. :-)
But for me using XBMC as the frontend for images, plugins, media,
videos, music and MythTV as the PVR backend is a good solution.