[mythtv-users] Frontend blocked two minutes due to sendProfile.py?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu Mar 14 04:57:36 UTC 2013

Tonight when I turned on my frontend only machine, I got the MythCenter-wide background, but no menu. After some investigation and confirming that an update to the latest available version from the mythbuntu PPA didn't change the behavior, I found the root cause was that mythfrontend is blocked for two minutes waiting for this command to complete:
/usr/share/mythtv/hardwareprofile/sendProfile.py --submitOnly -a

/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log contains the following entries for this time period:

Mar 14 00:25:52 buus3610 mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1513]: I CoreContext hardwareprofile.cpp:165 (NeedsUpdate) Last hardware profile update was > 30 days ago, update required...
Mar 14 00:25:52 buus3610 mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1513]: I CoreContext mythmainwindow.cpp:2553 (LockInputDevices) Locking input devices
Mar 14 00:27:57 buus3610 mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1513]: N CoreContext main.cpp:1046 (RunMenu) Found mainmenu.xml for theme 'MythCenter-wide'
Mar 14 00:27:58 buus3610 mythlogserver: mythfrontend[1513]: I CoreContext mythmainwindow.cpp:2555 (LockInputDevices) Unlocking input devices

If I exit and restart mythfrontend, I have to wait yet another two minutes before I can interact with it, unless I kill that darned sendProfile.py process. My questions are:

- Is a server down that sendProfile.py is trying to talk to?

- Why does the frontend have to wait for sendProfile.py to complete before I can interact with it?

- Can I disable this "feature" until it works more sensibly?

I can imagine that a mythtv/linux newbie might think they're dealing with something like the Windoze BSOD. I'd like to help the project by sharing hardware profiles for my machines, but not if I've got to wait an extra two minutes every time I start up a frontend.

Output from "mythfrontend.real --version":
MythTV Version : v0.26.0-112-g77259c5
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.26
Network Protocol : 75
Library API : 0.26.20130225-1
QT Version : 4.8.1
Options compiled in:
 linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg using_libass using_libxml2

Regards,
Helen