[mythtv-users] Computer can't read EDID from Panasonic TC-P42C1

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Wed Mar 13 19:03:30 UTC 2013

> I did make some headway on this issue by following the directions at:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/__Overscan.   As a first go at it I just cut and
pasted the metamode line that the author used (i.e. Option "metamodes"
"DFP-0: 1280x720 { ViewPortIn=1280x720, ViewPortOut=1045x675+120+15 }" )
and it worked like a charm.  Of course now I have underscan.  I don't
really understand his/her arithmetic so I'm going to have to figure that
out before I make any changes (baby steps). If anyone has an insight please
let me know otherwise I'll just have to play with it until I get it right.
I am optimistic though.

First off, watch the top posting, always post inline or at the bottom of
the quoted text.... allows people to read things in order instead of having
to read from the bottom up.

If I had to guess... the ViewPortOut value is simply the resolution and the
offset.  So in the example you posted, the view port is actually 1045x675,
and it is moved 120px to the right, and 15px down.  I assume the offset is
from the top left corner (0,0).

Imagine your screen is a typical X/Y graph... your screen (including it's
overscan) is a rectangle grounded such that the top left corner is at 0,0.
 The viewport is another rectangle that, unmodified is exactly the same as
your screen.  What your doing is changing the size of the viewport in
relation to the screen.... the problem is that by default the viewport
remains grounded at 0,0, for example:

----------------------------
|                   |      |
|                   |      |

Use the offset to move the viewport to the center of your screen (or where
ever it needs to be to display everything). Make sense?

It's gonna take some trial and error to get both the size and offset right.
 You may be able to make it easier by creating a wallpaper image that has a
grid, say lines every 10px, on it to show you how big your viewport is, and
how far you need to move the offset.  Of course this would only be useful
BEFORE you set the viewport and offset.