[mythtv-users] Video is behind audio, dropping frames to catch up (VDPAU, HD content)

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Mar 12 19:14:58 UTC 2013

> If I had to guess, I would say resource conflict, most likely IRQ's.  If
> > the sound card was sharing an IRQ with the LCD device (serial port?)...
> > it could have caused a hiccup like this.
>
> I had the problem with a serial LCD and also with my newer USB LCD.
>
> I had it with my old hardware and with my new hardware (only the sound
> card was the same with these 2 PCs).
>
> It started with MythTV 0.22, if I see it right in my old logs.
>
> I was thinking, it maybe is a CPU resource/multithreading conflict
> inside mythfrontend, because I can also provoke it on my desktop (2nd
> frontend) when I do heavy work while watching TV.
>
> Also, I think the frequency of the incidents changed after I switched
> from logging to NFS to logging to RAM disk.

Was just a guess... it could be so many different things really.  I only
guessed IRQ's because I have seen similar issues, especially on older
equipment.

Hell, I remember the days when you would need to optimize IRQ allocation
for damn near every device in your computer or stuff just wouldn't work.
 With only 16 IRQ's available, most of which were used, you would sometimes
hit an impossible.  Sometimes devices could share, if they weren't used at
the same time, but that would mean no using COM2 while online using a modem
on COM4, or no printing on LPT2, while listening to music on your sound
card.  Stupid crap like that.