[mythtv-users] Computer can't read EDID from Panasonic TC-P42C1

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 12 18:31:08 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 01:58 PM, gcsa60 wrote:
> Thanks Jedi,
>
> I have messed around with the settings in MythTV although they don't
> quite work as I intuit them. For example if I use the screen wizard
> and set it to 1024x768 it underscans. I still have to wok it out.
>
> Anyway, I was still hoping to solve this problem though because I
> would like to use the computer as a desktop when I want. Has anyone
> encountered and solved this problem??

Right.  The overscan is completely unrelated to your resolution--it's
just something that the TV does to your signal.  When you set MythTV to
use 1024x768 pixels, that's inside an X output of 1280x720, so it's
basically just putting a black border around MythTV that's too big for
the amount of overscan your TV is doing.  To adjust for overscan in
MythTV, you need to adjust MythTV's GUI and/or video size so that it
just fits inside the visible display area of your TV--and don't feel
constrained by any arbitrary numbers (such as input mode resolution
(1280x720) nor physical screen resolution (1024x768) nor any others that
may seem important).

Note, though, that it's critical that your X configuration is specified
such that your aspect ratio is correct--i.e. if you have a widescreen
TV, it should be a widescreen aspect ratio in X.

Other than that, you choose the most appropriate input mode allowed by
your TV--the one that gives you the best picture.  On some TVs, that's
using a 1:1 pixel mode, but some TVs don't allow that (none of their
input modes correspond to the number of "physical" pixels on the TV).
Some (most?) TVs have overscan, some allow adjusting the overscan in
menus (or "hidden" setup menus), some do not and require you to adjust
for it (either in a particular application, such as MythTV, or with the
entire display--configuring X to underscan in the signal it outputs).

Mike