[mythtv-users] Video is behind audio, dropping frames to catch up (VDPAU, HD content)

Thomas Börkel thomas at boerkel.de
Tue Mar 12 17:49:24 UTC 2013

HI!

I finally fixed this problem!

For the archive: It was the Soundblaster Live X PCI sound card!

I've had this problem now for several years. It happened every now and
then (1-2 times per recording), but after switching from 0.23.1 to 0.26
and from SD to HD, it happened more often, like every 5 minutes sometimes.

After trying everything I could think of in terms of software, I finally
looked at the hardware. I switched from the PCI card to onboard audio
and the problem was gone.

The reason I had stayed with the PCI card for so long are:

1. Not every board has digital audio out. My new one luckily has.
2. I could use analog and digital audio with one ALSA device ("default").

Now, after the problem being fixed, I still don't understand the real
cause behind it:

1. Bug of the card?
2. Bug of the driver of the card?
3. Bug of MythTV?

And why was it also triggered by MythTV trying to connect to the crashed
MythLCDserver?

Would be interesting to know, although I am really glad this is fixed now!

Thomas