[mythtv-users] Transcoding help please?

Michael Stucky mike at stucky.us
Tue Mar 12 15:17:25 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 4:11 AM, Michael Watson <
michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au> wrote:

> On 12/03/2013 6:46 PM, mythtv . wrote:
>

>> Thanks for all your help guys! Greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Out of interest do people actually do transcoding and the like in terms
>> of what I want. I kind of figured it was just something that loads of
>> people did and it was straightforward until it didnt quite work. Or do
>> people just use cut lists and leave the cut bits in situ.
>>
>> I always delete recordings after I have watched them but this is just for
>> some of the kids shows and seeign as I have 15 mins total of padding by
>> default on the system it almost doubles the size of some so thought it a
>> good idea.
>>
>> Martin
>>
>>  We watch, and allow to auto expire.
> With the kids shows, I have them set to record at any time on any channel,
> duplicate checking current recordings, keep max of 5 episodes, record new
> and expire old, (actually, most shows are set like this, with the exception
> of max of 5 recordings)
> My kids usually go into "Watch Recordings", and scroll down from the
> latest recording until they find something they want to watch, rarely do
> they go looking for a particular show)
>
> I dont bother transcoding at all.

And I have noticed from following this list for a couple of months that a
good number of the most active users and maybe all of the 'devs' are of
a similar mind, ie. they don't transcode at all. That probably works well
if all of your media players are MythTV BE/FEs or plugins to things like
XBMC that honor Myth cutlists. However, for those of us with a
wider variety of media players/devices and/or storage constraints it is
nice to be able to remove pre/post padding and commercials. Prior to MythTV
version 0.26 that meant using MythTranscode to do "lossless" trancoding of
recordings, which worked very well (as least for me). "Lossless" transcode
seems to be broken in 0.26 and apparently no fix is planned unless someone
outside of the existing developer community with the expertise and desire
to diagnose and fix the problem steps forward. As a result, those of us who
want/need to transcode (read lossless cut) and lack the expertise to fix
MythTranscode are left to use the good number of scripts that are available
that accomplish basically the same thing.

I delete a good number of shows once I have watched them, but I save a
growing list of movies and music programs that I might like to watch again
or someone else in the family might like to watch. The scripts I am using,
slightly modified versions of John Pilkington's MythDVBcut and Raymond
Wagner's mythvidexport (both available at the MythTV Wiki), allow me to
save programs I might want to watch again in a format that saves some space
and can be played by any player/device that I currently use.

Mike