[mythtv-users] Commercial Detection during recording

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 11 19:44:47 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 01:47 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
> If so, I wonder if it wouldn't be worthwhile for a patch to adjust the
> commercial detection job priority to always favor realtime comflagging.

This presumes that I/O is the biggest resource usage of commercial
detection.  In fact, it's usually CPU usage (for all-software decode of
the video) that's the biggest resource usage, and I/O is a negligible
load in comparison.  This is true when recording high-bitrate,
high-resolution MPEG-2 (such as ATSC) and much more so when recording
high-bitrate, high resolution AVC/H.264.  This is also true when
decoding low-bitrate, low resolution (SDTV) MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 with
"Auto-commercial-detection jobs when recording starts" enabled, because
then you're simply decoding a 1hr show in 1hr.

Mike