[mythtv-users] Upgrade from 0.20.2 -> 0.25.2

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 11 19:25:26 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 03:11 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> So, just do a full backup, then a full restore to a different MySQL
> server (if required), then run mythtv-setup from an upgraded version
> of MythTV (first, 0.23, then do another database backup, then run
> mythtv-setup from 0.25.2--or, better, the currently supported version,
> 0.26-fixes).

Oh, and I should have mentioned that this approach--using the
mythconverg_backup.pl SQL-based backup--is also the right approach to
use when upgrading MySQL versions (so it's the approach you should use
to go from MySQL 3.23 to MySQL 5.x).  Doing a "binary copy" of the MySQL
data files when upgrading MySQL versions is not recommended unless you
happen to be a MySQL admin--and, even then, if you're talking about the
MythTV database, doing so is only recommended if you prefer doing things
the hard way for no benefit (i.e. the MythTV database is small enough
that a backup/restore is quicker than doing a proper binary-data-file
upgrade, and has the benefit of creating a version-independent backup of
the schema you can use in case you break something along the way).

Mike