[mythtv-users] MythTV UPnP with no router - just a crossover cable

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Mar 11 17:30:03 UTC 2013

>  Hi:  I would like to set this up for a 'smart' TV in a place with no
>>> internet connection and no network.

>> Never tried this myself, but I think you want to
>> use a link-local address.
>>
>>      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/**Link-local_address#IPv4<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address#IPv4>
>>

> Thanks for both replies:  if I set the TV to auto acquire an IP address it
> displays (at least this time around) 169.254.33.71, which ties in with
> Bill's reference.  I'll see if I can do anything on that basis.

If your tv is getting a link-local address you should be good to go.

Just edit your ETH0 section in /etc/interfaces to read:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet ipv4ll

ip4ll is a relatively new option for telling the interface to use a link
local without waiting on DHCP to timeout.

You could set a static in the link local range as well... if the tv is to
spec, it will check to see if the address is free before it assigns one, so
you shouldn't run into a case where they get the same address.  A static IP
may be required, I've never run Mythbackend on a box without a one.