[mythtv-users] Transcoding help please?

Michael Stucky mike at stucky.us
Mon Mar 11 14:05:35 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 8:23 AM, mythtv . <mythtv at harley-jones.co.uk> wrote:

>> After re-reading your reply I perhaps ought to clarify.  At present it's
>> a one-recording-at-a-time, console-based script.  I think the procedures in
>> it could probably be adapted as a drop-in replacement for mythtranscode for
>> some kinds of recording (and user requirements), but I don't have a version
>> like that.
>>

>> John
>>

> Thanks John,
>
> That's OK I think I was reading things as quickly as you whilst doing
> other stuff :-)
>
> I thought transcoding was in regular use by many and was surprised to find
> little up-to-date info? My simpler more robust alternative is simply to add
> some more disk space and then not have to worry I guess :-)
>
> Martin

It is not difficult to setup John's script(s)  as a UserJob that works as a
replacement for MythTranscode. I use a modified version of John's script
with 'mythvidexport' to cut pre and post padding and commercials then
export the result to my Video storage group. I commented out all of the
"echo"ing to console and added some additional "rm -f" statements to clean
up logging (once I had everything working the way I wanted ;-). Now all I
have to do is verify that all of the cutpoints are on a keyframe for a
given recording and schedule the UserJob.

Mike