[mythtv-users] Transcoding help please?

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Mar 11 11:53:44 UTC 2013

On 11/03/13 10:55, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 11/03/13 10:37, mythtv . wrote:
>>
>>     This might do what you want, although I have never used DVB-S or
>>     variants and there may be an obvious gotcha.  It's for use from a
>>     console and puts out logging and diagnostic info that could probably
>>     be dumped now, so that it could be called by Raymond Wagner's
>> wrapper.
>>
>>     http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/__MythDVBcut
>>     <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MythDVBcut>
>>
>>     John P
>>

>> Cheers John,
>>
>> I think that's just the job and does exactly what I want. Especially
>> being able to do the whole lot in one go.
>>
>>  From having a quick look, I take it this cmd line script parses the
>> database, cuts all files as per any cut lists present, updates the
>> database to pint to the new files, recreates thumbnails and clears the
>> now redundant cutfiles?
>>
>> I run Mythbuntu 12.04 with MythTV 0.26 - pretty standard install but
>> with XBMC and various bluetooth remote wizardry. Are there any
>> dependencies of other software required to install. I'm kind of assuming
>> I probably have everything as I can already transcode via MythTV (albeit
>> a bit broken sometimes)
>>
>> Martin
>>

> The obvious non-standard item is Project-X, which I build from the
> tarball; that needs java openjdk to run and and openjdk-devel to build.
>
> You could set USEPJX to false and use the python script instead, but the
> output will then include secondary-language and data streams - and
> perhaps reception errors - and will therefore be bigger, and the cuts
> won't be as clean as with USEPJX true.  There's no heavy-duty
> transcoding involved and the java seems quite efficient, so most of the
> time taken is file-shuffling.
>
> John

After re-reading your reply I perhaps ought to clarify.  At present it's
a one-recording-at-a-time, console-based script.  I think the procedures
in it could probably be adapted as a drop-in replacement for
mythtranscode for some kinds of recording (and user requirements), but I
don't have a version like that.

John