[mythtv-users] Have to start shows twice -- database problem???

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Mar 10 23:12:54 UTC 2013

On 13-03-04 09:42 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> You probably had a severely slow scheduler query run, which resulted in
> timeouts.
>
> To speed up the scheduler query you can:
>
> a) Remove no-longer-necessary recording rules (in mythfrontend Manage
> Recordings|Recording Rules--or in 0.21, you use Recording Priority)

It's really odd that this should be a meaningful slowdown since I'd
imagine the first pass of the scheduler would simply be matching
recording rules to all recordings.

Put another way, if this really were a significant contributor to
scheduler efficiency surely the first thing the scheduler should do is
to do a single pass over the recording rules and upcoming program table
to weed out any recording rules that didn't match any recordings.

> b) Remove recording history (in mythfrontend Manage
> Recordings|Previously Recorded)

But then one would get episodes of shows one has previously watched
being recorded wouldn't one?  Why even keep a previously recorded table
if you are just going to empty it all the time in the name of scheduler
efficiency.

In fact, I would imagine that having the previously recorded table
available to remove episodes that have previously been watched (and
therefore don't need recording) would also be a single pass operation
and would actually be an overall efficiency gain since it removes
permutations of schedules needed to try to get everything one wants
recorded into the upcoming schedule.  i.e. ultimately it makes the
hardest part of the scheduling easier by removing possible candidate
recordings.

b.