[mythtv-users] How to repair mysql?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sun Mar 10 20:27:02 UTC 2013

On 10/03/13 17:53, UB40D wrote:

> (snipped install/deinstall steps)
>
> --------------------------
> What other hope have I got?
>
> I would have thought that if dpkg -P really gets rid of the packages (which
> it seems to) then it shouldn't be such a big deal just to install mysql on
> an allegedly clean system, right? What am I doing wrong here?
> ---------------------------

I've only been following this with half an eye as I have *never* had a problem
installing mysql, but I'd like to offer the following:

mysql-server is a "meta" package which will pick up the current release of
mysql. On installation it will pull in the correct programs and libraries (ie
mysql-server-5.5) but it will also install the meta package itself, which
probably contains very little. This is so that the whole lot can be removed by
just removing the meta-package.

Your installation seems to fail attempting to configure the server. Now, exactly
/what/ it is doing I don't know, but your subseqent attempts to run mysql won't
work because the server isn't running (can't find socket).

Since you have gone over this several times with more or less the same results
I'm beginning to wonder if you have a file, files or directory which the
installation process needs to write to but can't. That might explain this:

Setting up mysql-server-5.5 (5.5.29-0ubuntu0.12.10.1) ...
start: Job failed to start
invoke-rc.d: initscript mysql, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing mysql-server-5.5 (--configure):

First of all, attempt to uninstall everything so that in theory you have a fresh
system to start from. Then, look around your file system for remaining files:
try /var/lib/mysql, /var/run/mysql, /var/log/mysql and /etc/mysql but there may
be other locations. If you find any files in these directories it is possible
that they may have the wrong permissions and are blocking the installation.

(Of course, if you had a previous mythtv database, I'm assuming you have a
suitable backup already?)

Also look at /etc/init.d/mysql and see what the "start" option references. See
if you can determine what it wants to do and why it fails.

--

Mike Perkins