[mythtv-users] How to repair mysql?

UB40D ub40dd at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 9 17:13:45 UTC 2013

Mythtv isn't working any more, after a failed automatic upgrade that ran
out of disk space. After making space and moving /var to its own partition
I believe I tracked down the problem to the fact that mysql does not start:

         service mysql start
which returned
 start: Job failed to start

I tried reconfiguring and reinstalling mysql server in various ways,
including the ones below, but none of them succeeded in allowing me to
restart the mysql service.

Any further suggestions on how to reinstall mysql, preferably without
losing all the data and/or reinstalling the whole mythbuntu
distribution? I have stashed a copy of /var somewhere else, as well as
the backups normally taken by mythtv on its own.