[mythtv-users] The Final Nail in MythTranscode?

Ken Scales ashtonprairie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:47:57 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 2:45 AM, Paul Gardiner <lists at glidos.net> wrote:

> "Michael T. Dean"
> >So, if you must transcode (i.e. to watch content on some
> >limited-functionality device, such as a tablet or phone), don't use
> >mythtranscode to do it--use a real tool that was designed by a project
> >specifically focused on creating transcoding tools.
>
> When mythtv's transcoding feature works, it is perfectly serviceable. The
> OP wasn't asking for new features only what used to work in 0.25.

Actually, I would disagree with Paul's description of "perfectly
serviceable". It actually excelled in some functions:
- other than VideoReDo, it is the ONLY "cutter" that I have found that can
do essentially frame-accurate cuts on mpeg2 recordings under Linux. (In
some cases this requires correcting the indices in the mark-up file first
using its built-in buildindex function.)  All other methods I'm aware of
are only key-frame accurate, which can cause very annoying relocation of
the cut points.
- it performs a clean-up / correction of the file, which can eliminate
problems while processing the file. This can help with dropped frames, etc.
in the original recording. Once I started using mythtrancode to pre-process
files before transcoding with Handbrake, I found that audio drift in the
output file is rare to non-existent.

Our Mythtv "supports" 6 family members plus myself. Playback devices used
include mythfrontends, PS3, WD-TVs (1st gen), WD-Live-Hub, Acer Iconia A500
tablet, and my Samsung phone.  As indicated above, I currently use a script
that pre-processes and trims the (OTA mpeg2) recording with mythtranscode
(0.25), then transcodes the result using HandBrakeCLI to convert it into a
format that, after much trial and error, I've found to be compatible with
this range of devices (one single transcode). I then store the resulting
recording in the Mythtv Videos storage group, as I definitely agree with
Mike's preferences here.

Although much has been said about the storage-saving reduction of
transcoding, another benefit that hasn't been mentioned yet is wifi
bandwidth. An h.264 transcoded version of an OTA mpeg2 recording requires a
LOT less bandwidth, resulting in more stable and wifi-network-friendly
performance.

Mike's comment suggesting that those users who want mythtranscode 0.26/0.27
fixed should get together and develop a fix is a valid suggestion for an
open-source project. Unfortunately, this will require someone with the
skillset and sufficient familiarity with the Mythtv coding environment to
come forward.

In the meantime, since Ubuntu pushed a dist-upgrade down that removed
libmyth-0.25 (breaking the work-around used for 0.26), I've told a friend
NOT to upgrade to Mythtv 0.26. Yes, I know that the older libraries can be
re-installed (I tried this), but in my case MySQL also got upgraded and
became incompatible with the mythtranscode-0.25 environment. I'm now
running mythtranscode-0.25 under a chroot environment, which is a pretty
ugly work-around, but it works.  Sigh. But, like the OP, I really need the
functionality.