[mythtv-users] How do you set up a MythTV frontend to output YCbCr via HDMI

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Wed Mar 6 10:44:20 UTC 2013

This mainly aimed at you Andre because I'm pretty sure you once
explained how you achieved better image quality doing this,
but I also thought any feedback would be generally helpful to
others, and besides that I'd welcome help from anyone who
has tried this.

What I've tried:

1. startx without a .xinitrc file (on my system that gives me a twm
session).

2. Run nvidia-settings and select the YCbCr color space (I could see
the momentary flash of pink as the TV reacted to the change, also
I could then explictly set the TV's color space and see that only
YCbCr444 worked correctly).

3. startx with an .xinitrc file containging
=============
nvidia-settings -l
mythtfrontend

That doesn't work. I still get an invocation of mythfrontend that
looks correct only with the TV set to RGB (0-255). Any idea what
I've missed out.

To be honest, I have no understanding how this might have worked,
unless MythTV was specially coded to write to a YUV screen buffer,
but others report success, so - I don't know - maybe all the
rendering libraries that MythTV uses know how to handle it.

Cheers,
	Paul.