[mythtv-users] The Final Nail in MythTranscode?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 6 04:53:09 UTC 2013

On 03/05/2013 02:42 AM, Richard Morton wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2013 03:04, "Michael T. Dean" wrote:
>> On 02/25/2013 03:11 AM, Ian Evans wrote:
>>> Really screwed with mythtranscode and space now.
>> Did you know that hard drive prices have reached new lows--even lower
>> prices than before the flood?
>>
>> Mike, a firm believer that transcoding recordings is a waste
> Mike, Why?
> I think I know what you are about to say but before I launch into why I
> really think you are wrong I thought I would check...

a) transcoding is lossy (generational loss at minimum, and if you really
are using smaller bitrate--to create smaller files--can result in even
more losses, depending on CODECs (where, generally, cutting bitrate
without losing quality requires going to a more-efficient CODEC, that
requires even more power--and potentially multiple passes--when
transcoding))
b) transcoding takes a lot of CPU power--and, therefore, electricity
(generally worth more than the hard drive space you save) and more hard
drive space may not take any additional power (can actually take less
power by replacing older, less-power-efficient drives with newer,
larger, more efficient drives)
c) transcoding wastes a lot of human time--the time required to edit the
recording and ensure cuts are where they should be (and blindly trusting
the commercial detection to place flags is a bad idea for destructive
process, such as cutting while transcoding)
d) in many locations, such as the USA, DVRs can be used only for time
shifting content--meaning delaying the viewing of broadcast
content--therefore, you don't own the content, and, really, are not
allowed to keep it/archive it after viewing (and, some strict
interpretations of the time shifting fair use rule say that there's a
"reasonable" time limit associated with time shifting, some people
claiming it's as short as "within 30 days of broadcast")
e) if it's really good enough that you would be willing to waste your
own free time editing the recording and spend money on electricity to
transcode it down to a smaller size, just buy it on DVD/BluRay and get a
good copy without the advertisements/bugs/logos/rating boxes/weather
alerts/news flashes/interruptions/...
f) mythtranscode only transcodes into MPEG-4 (or the useless RTJPEG)
inside NuppelVideo container--which is completely wrong.

Note that I never said cutting is a waste.  Cutting without transcoding
is fine--assuming you're keeping the recording long enough to waste your
own time editing the recording to ensure cuts are done at the
appropriate locations.  However, if you're really only just time
shifting--record, watch, delete--even cutting isn't worthwhile with
today's hard drive prices.  (I saw a 3TB HDD for $109.99 on Feb 22, and
have seen 2TB HDDs for $69.99 recently.)

So, if you must transcode (i.e. to watch content on some
limited-functionality device, such as a tablet or phone), don't use
mythtranscode to do it--use a real tool that was designed by a project
specifically focused on creating transcoding tools.  Ideally, though,
you would never transcode and only ever cut commercials.  IMHO, that's
the only use for mythtranscode--and if it's not working, then those who
actually care to cut commercials with "lossless" transcoding need to get
in there and fix it.

Mike