[mythtv-users] The Final Nail in MythTranscode?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 04:39:48 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 7:04 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Did you know that hard drive prices have reached new lows--even lower prices
> than before the flood?

Well, not in my location (where 2TB drives were selling for $69), but
I agree the prices have returned to a slightly less outrageous level.
When I can get a ST4000DM000 for ~$140, prices will be back to
pre-flood numbers from my perspective.

> Mike, a firm believer that transcoding recordings is a waste

I agree with the conclusion, regardless that the provided supporting
statement is not entirely correct.

Note that I agree with the statement based on the price of disk
space (and the CPU (i.e. electricity) cost of the transcoding).
I *do* transcode some of my recieved content to a format that
my tablet can render in hardware.  That has nothing to do with
the price of the disk space, and everything to do with my tablet's
rendering capabilities (H.264 vs. my content being supplied
in MPEG-2).

Gary