[mythtv-users] The Final Nail in MythTranscode?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Mar 5 15:45:32 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 11:03:26PM +1100, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM, Anthony Giggins
> <seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:

> >> Not sure this is very useful since from what I could see reading back
> >> you want lossless transcode, but I've been using mythtranscode in
> >> --fifodir mode running it into ffmpeg. That hasn't been broken in
> >> 0.26. If anything it works better. If you are coming from mpeg2
> >> recordings you get the advantage of the smaller files that h264 allows.
> >> You can preserve interlacing, whatever you want. My script is linked to
> >> from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythtranscode. You can just set it up
> >> as a user job.
> >>
> >> I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't bother and just buy more disc space
> >> instead, but it is nice to be able to stick a series on a DVD to give
> >> to a friend who missed it. And I'm often taking recordings over to my
> >> girlfriend's and it's much faster to copy 1G than 4G to a USB
> >

> > My theory is you can fit even more content onto these ever cheaper drives if you transcode, especially due to channel over runs and having to record upto 22min (20 mins hard pad & 2 mins soft pad) just to make certain you get entire shows in my country that adds up to a lot of extra space which would otherwise be wasted.
> >
> > Ie. I'd be down almost half of the 1486 recording I currently have and I'd require more Sata ports also.
>
> Yeah, but is there much of a point to that much (recordings) storage?

    In particular, old SD reruns on broadcast HD channels are especially
wasteful. They take up far more space than they need to while being of
inferior quality to an aggressively transcoded DVD rip.

    More storage allows for greater flexibility in what use cases the
PVR can robustly support. You can ignore things for a few weeks while
you get busy or go on vacation. You can accomodate multiple users better.
You can pick and choose content base on being able to actually sample it.

    It's like video on demand but without a lot of the usual limitations.

[deletia]

    If you don't care about having a lot of storage capacity then MythTV
might be overkill in general.