[mythtv-users] The Final Nail in MythTranscode?

Paul Gardiner lists at glidos.net
Tue Mar 5 11:20:13 UTC 2013

On 25/02/2013 08:11, Ian Evans wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM, Scott Harris
> <scott.harris0509 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> Are there any other options out there?  Even if someone has some suggestions
>> to get my 0.25 mythtrascode going again.
>
> Scott,
>
> just posted a thread about the .25 copy over trick no longer working
> either due to a missing libmythtv-0.25.so.0
>
> Did you get that issue too? Really screwed with mythtranscode and space now.

Not sure this is very useful since from what I could see reading back
you want lossless transcode, but I've been using mythtranscode in
--fifodir mode running it into ffmpeg. That hasn't been broken in
0.26. If anything it works better. If you are coming from mpeg2
recordings you get the advantage of the smaller files that h264 allows.
You can preserve interlacing, whatever you want. My script is linked to
from http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythtranscode. You can just set it up
as a user job.

I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't bother and just buy more disc space
instead, but it is nice to be able to stick a series on a DVD to give
to a friend who missed it. And I'm often taking recordings over to my
girlfriend's and it's much faster to copy 1G than 4G to a USB stick.

P.