[mythtv-users] MythTV Frontend

Saul A. Peebsen jaglover at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 22:32:18 UTC 2013

On Sat, 02 Mar 2013 22:00:28 +0000
Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> >> I play hd on a mythfront very near flawless using 'n'. but i do it
> >> through a wireless bridge and then hardwire to the bridge. i use
> >> openwrt on everything and atheros chipset based cheap 20 dollar
> >> routers (tp-link).
> >
> The point is, you can put in whatever fancy equipment you can lay
> your hands on but you can't dictate what all the neighbours around
> you are going to do. If they all have wireless AP's going full blast
> it doesn't matter what kit /you/ have. You are going to get crap
> reception.

Correct. And even if you are alone and there are no interfering
neighbors your connection you may still suffer from degraded
connection relevant but not limited to other high-frequency devices
and even atmospheric conditions which may suppress your signal with a
remote one in some cases. It's the radio wave, it's unpredictable.

OTOH, there was lots of money invested in wireless technology. Which
means there is strong pressure on unsuspecting customers to buy them.
It's up to you to follow the knowledge and common sense and go wired
or ... go wireless and struggle with unpredictable reception.

--
Cheers, Saul