[mythtv-users] Regression? 0.26+20130221 Time sync issues

Frank Feuerbacher fbacher at brisbin.net
Fri Mar 1 22:59:26 UTC 2013

I have been using mythtv and ubuntu 12.10 on my new machine since
mid-January. I was running fine with 0.26. I was applying updates
several times a week. I stopped applying updates due to system crashes
that set in (I have resolved those, I think it was wine, which I removed).

I had a backlog of encodings so it took me a while to notice this
problem. I strongly believe that it crept in around the middle of
February. I'll try to get a precise date this evening if I can correlate
when I recorded the shows. I don't know of apt-get keeps a history of
applied updates. If it does, I'll report back on that.

The movies originate as mpeg-2 transport streams.

What I find VERY interesting is that before using mythtv, I was
experimenting using NextPVR on my Windows 7 box with the very same
channels and InfiinTV card. I would always have to run the captured .ts
files through Project-X (or some other tool) to clean it up before
Avidemux or Handbrake would touch it. *But on occasion,* I got files
that behaved the same as now: Handbrake would report time sync issues,
and Handbrake would produce h.264 video that would play at almost 2x
time and the audio had lots of drop outs. Using VideoRedo would fix the
problem, except for the last two minutes of the recordings, where it
would revert to the bad behavior. My assumption was that I overloaded
the CPU (or I/O) with handbrake jobs. But, on my new Ubuntu/mythtv setup
I have never experienced any problem encoding and recording at the same
time. I will, of course, do a test with no other activity on the system
while recording.