[mythtv-users] Video devices on recent kernels

Marc Tousignant myrdhn at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 05:15:42 UTC 2013

From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Keith Pyle
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:02 PM
To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Video devices on recent kernels

On 02/28/13 06:00, Rod Smith wrote:

I've been doing some kernel upgrades on my backend machines, and I'm
having problems getting some of my video devices to appear with new
locally-built kernels. In particular:

1) My master backend includes a Hauppauge WinTV-PVR 500, but I
    can't seem to find an IVTV driver option for the 3.7.9 kernel I'm
    trying to compile. The source files seem to be present in the
    source tree, but I can't seem to find an option to make them
    compile, and when I boot into the new kernel, the /dev/video*
    files for the WinTV-PVR 500 are missing.

2) My slave backend has a pcHDTV HD-3000, but I can't seem to find
    a way to compile the CX88 drivers that it requires. As with the
    WinTV-PVR 500 on my frontend, the /dev/dvb/* device files don't
    appear when I boot into a 3.7.9 kernel. I see various CX88
    files in the kernel source tree; I just can't find a way to
    activate them for compilation.

Both of these devices work fine with my old kernels (3.3.2 on the
frontend, 3.5.7 on the backend); I just can't figure out what's required
to get them to actually compile, and they've been deselected when I
copied my old .config file and did "make oldconfig". There have been a
lot of changes in the setup for video capture devices recently, so I'm
guessing I'm missing something. I've Googled on this, but I've not
turned up anything useful -- just old instructions and links to kernel
source files.

Can anybody provide me with pointers for how to get these drivers to
compile with 3.7.x kernels? Thanks.

Rod,

For the PVR-500 on 3.7.x, check for CONFIG_MEDIA_RC_SUPPORT ("remote
controller support") and CONFIG_INPUT ("generic input layer").   I haven't
had to deal with this myself, but my kernel expert told me that a
configuration dependency on these was introduced and both were required to
enable the IVTV config section that you're seeking.

Keith

Rod,

1)      Device Drivers  --->
                <M> Multimedia support  --->
                                [*]   Analog TV support
                                [*]   Remote Controller support
                                [*]   Media PCI Adapters  --->
                                                <M>   Conexant
cx23416/cx23415 MPEG encoder/decoder support

2)      Device Drivers  --->
                <M> Multimedia support  --->
                                [*]   Analog TV support
                                [*]   Remote Controller support