[mythtv-users] help: i can't record tv after upgrade to ubuntu-13.04/mythtv-0.26

mythtv at raf.org mythtv at raf.org
Fri Jun 28 06:20:21 UTC 2013

Thomas Mashos wrote:

> It's unfortunate, but I often times see on this list that "I had X problem
> and decided to just do Y because of some post on Z that vaguely resembles
> my issue". More often than not, that causes issues.

the issue pre-dated my attempt to fix it. :-)

searching the net for an error message i'm seeing
and trying the solutions that have worked for others
often works well for me. not this time, though. :-)

as far as i can tell, it seems that the original issue
was that the upgrade added the line:

 <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>

to config.xml but didn't put the local hostname in
there automatically and didn't alert me to the fact
that it needed to be modified. but it seems hard to
believe that mythtv would actually accept that
"my-unique-identifier-goes-here" was a real hostname
and therefore decide that the local backend was not
the master backend and then proceed to let all hell
break loose.

as for then following the dubious advice on the net to
use "127.0.0.1" as the local backend ip address
(rather than the ethernet address), i think mythtv
could have pointed out that that was a useless value
to put there if the purpose of the value is to
determine whether or not the local backend is the
master backend or not. 127.0.0.1 is the address of
all local backends. it doesn't say anything that
mythtv didn't already know and it could have
prevented me using that value.

a bit more defensive input validation with educational
explanations wouldn't go astray. but i understand that
there are limited resources for such niceties so it's
not surprising that the blind end up leading the blind
out in the wild old web. a lot of mythtv's setup is
fairly cryptic and people tend to try silly things
when nothing is working and then forget to undo them. :-)

it's nice to know that this list is here and there are
excellent people willing and able to help.

> A question I'd like to know is, why did you upgrade to 13.04
> when the Mythbuntu team suggests sticking with 12.04?

several reasons. an earlier ubuntu upgrade had broken mythweb.
i had manually fixed it only to have it broken again the next
time there was a mythweb package upgrade. rather than maintain a
non-packaged mythweb safe from such upgrades, i decided to
ignore the problem until ubuntu fixed their package. i was
hoping that this version of ubuntu would have finally fixed the
problem. unfortunately, that was not the case. so i will have to
have a non-package mythweb around if i want to use it.
at least i know that now.

also, i generally like upgrading mythtv because it gets better.
0.24 crashed several times a day for me just in the menus.
0.25 didn't. 0.25 was also more likely than 0.24 to play my
iso images but it still doesn't play all of them successfully.
maybe 0.26 will do better. i am always hopeful that improvements
are being made that i can benefit from.

but the main reason i upgraded ubuntu is because i want my
ubuntu installation to be up to date.

> Thanks,
> Thomas Mashos

cheers,