[mythtv-users] Comcast Basic Cable Encryption

Joseph DeGraw coffee412 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 28 02:00:21 UTC 2013

On 06/27/2013 02:59 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2013-06-27 1:22 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
>> Can anybody tell me, when Comcast starts with the basic cable
>> encryption, are they conforming with the law? The FCC rule stated that
>> they have to give 30 days notice and also have to give a free cable card
>> or set top box for 1 year to anybody who was using clear QAM.
>>
>> There is no over the air signal here. The nearest transmitters are over
>> 50 miles away.
>>
>> I shall have to get a HD Homerun Prime or Ceton, but I am not ordering
>> it yet, in case Comcast takes years to get around to my area.
>>
>> Any advice on which to get? These devices are available in USB,
>> Ethernet, and PCI Express. I do not have a free PCI Express socket
>> unless I switch computers around. USB cables are easily pulled out.
>> Ethernet means I have to make sure my router is always working, but
>> maybe give the advantage that you can access it from other systems. The
>> Ceton web page says they do not support linux but they supply drivers
>> anyway. The HDHR web site claims to support mythtv. So I am wondering
>> which device and connection method is most reliable. Also of course
>> there is the new Ceton 6 Ethernet that nobody has tested yet.
>
> Hi Peter,  I just did this...
>
> Comcast can send you the CableCard (I have an HDHR Prime) -- if you
> just signed up on the list,
> look for my thread just starting yesterday on this with the
> subject: "ComCast OTA Encryption w/HDHR-Prime CC"
>

> Getting the cablecard initialized was pretty easy - there's a thread
> on SiliconDust's website as well as ComCast's.
>
> There's in a toll free number to call which is WAY better than dealing
> with the normal website number.
>
> See:
>
>  http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=44
>  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/CableCard-Activation-with-HDHomeRun-Prime-and-MythTV/td-p/1083323
>
>  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime
>  http://forum.linhes.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22780
>
> Cheers,
>
>  -Ben

If I can add to this post:

I have been using a ceton card for about 3 months now or so. I made a
jump from Directv to comcast. I had no trouble whatsoever setting up the
card and installing the drivers. I did a clean install of .25 and
upgraded to .26 .

After calling comcast to have them activate my card I was pretty much up
and flying. So far since I have owned the card I have had no problems
whatsoever. Now, Ihave 4 tuners on one card.

Therefore, From my experience - I say get the ceton card. It really does
a nice job.

coffee.