[mythtv-users] dvd iso playback problem

Dan Littlejohn dan.littlejohn at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 17:57:56 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 5:19 AM, Richard <peper03 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On 27/06/13 06:22, Dan Littlejohn wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Richard <peper03 at yahoo.com
>> <mailto:peper03 at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hi Dan,
>>

>>         2013-04-28 13:33:03.765665 E [2698/2894] Decoder
>>         DVD/dvdringbuffer.cpp:521 (safe_read) - DVDRB: Failed to read
>> block:
>>         Error reading NAV packet.
>>

>>     This error seems to indicate that there was an issue with the data
>>     from the image.  The library MythTV uses (libdvdnav) to parse the
>>     DVD data is reporting that a data structure it was expecting wasn't
>>     found (or was corrupt).  One reason for this could be using
>>     encrypted ISOs in storage groups across the network, but you said
>>     your images were all decrypted so unless one has slipped through the
>>     net, it shouldn't be that.
>>
>>     If the data has been corrupted, it poses the question why the image
>>     plays in other applications (to my knowledge, most use the same
>>     library, although possibly with their own modifications).  One
>>     reason may be that some applications attempt to skip the menu and
>>     jump straight to the main feature.  That could well mean that
>>     they're not seeing the corrupted data if it's part of the menu.
>>
>>     You could try starting the frontend with '-v playback
>>     --loglevel=debug'.  That will certainly give more data (although not
>>     from libdvdnav).
>>
>>     Are you getting the same problem from the other images that won't
>> play?
>>
>>     Richard.

>> For anyone else having tthe problem of some dvd ISOs not playing in
>> myth, but working in other players I was able to fix it and keep the iso
>> format.  What I finally figured out is that you can use the program
>> "dvd-shrink" to re-author the disk (non-compressed) to create a new iso
>> container.  All the movies I was having problems with were fixed by
>> doing this.  Just thought I would pass that along as keeping a single
>> iso file for a movie is really convenient and I like the myth interface
>> better than the other players I am using.
>>

> I'm glad you've found a solution but it would be interesting to know
> exactly why those images didn't play.  Did you remove anything (menus,
> streams etc.) when you ran the images through dvdshrink?
>
> If you still have an original image, I'd be interested to see the results
> of running mythfrontend with the parameters I mentioned before.  If you run
> it from a command-line, there may be some additional messages from
> libdvdnav that don't get routed into the normal MythTV logging.
>

> Richard.

Sure, I will try to run the frontend with the parameters you asked tonite
(-v playback --loglevel=debug) and post the result.

The old iso just played the movie and I reauthored it the same way.  It did
show several selectable titles (in the old iso) when I re-authored it, but
I am pretty sure they all point to the same thing.

Dan