[mythtv-users] help: i can't record tv after upgrade to ubuntu-13.04/mythtv-0.26

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jun 27 03:08:22 UTC 2013

On 06/26/2013 10:03 PM, raf wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> On 06/26/2013 07:32 PM, raf wrote:
>>> i use the mythtv that comes with ubuntu and just upgraded from
>>> ubuntu-12.10/mythtv-0.25 to ubuntu-13.04/mythtv-0.26
>>> (specifically 2:0.26.0+fixes.20121118.340b5d4-0ubuntu1).
>>>
>>> anyway, the initial upgrade was a disaster. it looked like the
>>> mythconverg schema was upgraded by mythtv-setup but nothing worked
>>> because mythbackend also thought it needed to upgrade the schema
>>> but thought it wasn't "allowed" to do so it would terminate immediately.
>>>
>>> i reloaded the backup and started again and it seems slightly better.
>>> possibly because i ran mythtv-setup as the mythtv user this time
>>> rather than just running mythfrontend with my own user account.
>>> it still forgot everything about my tv tuners and video and music
>>> directories and all of my recording instructions but that would be
>>> ok if it weren't for the remaining problems.
>>>
>>> i would really appreciate any suggestions to remedy the following
>>> problems:
>>>
>>> 1) mythfrontend can't terminate. when i try, it asks if i really want
>>> to. i tell it yes and then it just sits there until i kill the
>>> process some other way. the last thing it writes to its log file
>>> before hanging is:
>>>
>>>    I CoreContext bonjourregister.cpp:26 (~BonjourRegister)
>>>    Bonjour: De-registering service '_airplay._tcp.' on 'MythTV on HOSTNAME'
>>>
>>> is there any way i can tell it not to register/de-register this service?
>>> or to make it able to de-register the service. i'm not using this
>>> service.
>>>
>>> 2) i am unable to create any recording instructions in mythfrontend
>>> using the programme guide. when i try, i go through the motions and
>>> there are no error indications but when complete, there is no visual
>>> indication that the programme will be recorded and when i go back
>>> in to check the recording status of the programme in question, it
>>> says it will not be recorded.
>>>
>>> the messages that appear in the logfile when i try to record a programme
>>> look like:
>>>
>>> mythbackend.log:
>>>   E CoreContext mythsocket.cpp:520 (readStringList)
>>>     MythSocket(8c08298:60): readStringList: Error, timed out after 30000 ms.
>>>   E CoreContext mainserver.cpp:6184 (reconnectTimeout)
>>>     MainServer: Failed to open master server socket, timeout
>>>   I ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:1445 (HandleAnnounce)
>>>     adding: HOSTNAME as a slave backend server
>>>   W ProcessRequest mainserver.cpp:5841 (connectionClosed)
>>>     MainServer: Unknown socket closing MythSocket(0x8c08298)
>>>   E ProcessRequest mythsocket.cpp:344 (writeStringList)
>>>     MythSocket(8c08298:-1): writeStringList: Error, socket went
>>>     unconnected.#012#011#011#011We wrote 0 of 10 bytes
>>>     with 1 errors#012#011#011#011starts with: 2       OK
>>>   N CoreContext mainserver.cpp:6129 (reconnectTimeout)
>>>     Connecting to master server: 10.0.0.1:6543
>>>   N CoreContext mainserver.cpp:6147 (reconnectTimeout)
>>>     Connected successfully

> [...]

The problem is that your system doesn't know it's the master backend.
This means the host name it's using is different from the one you used
before the upgrade.  You can try to put it back how it was, but now that
you've run (and possibly reconfigured) things with a wrong host name, it
may actually mean you just need to clear out all the host stuff.

The first thing you need to do is run mythtv-setup on the master backend
host and go into General settings and set the "this server" and master
backend "IP address" setting to the master backend's IP address (not
host name).  Then, you can clear out the old host-related stuff.

You do that with "Delete all capture cards" (not "Delete all capture
cards on <hostname>" and by deleting every single Storage Group in
mythtv-setup, then reconfiguring.  Follow the instructions for "If you
no longer have access to the to-be-retired backend system" at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Backend_migration#Retiring_an_old_backend .

Mike